Paying my rent

Waltham Forest Council provides you a variety of ways to pay your rent to make your life easier. This can be done online using a debit or credit card; or over the telephone using a debit or credit card; via your bank by setting up a Direct Debit or a Standard Order; in person by using your one card to make cash payments or by post if you’d prefer to make cheque or postal payments.

PDF icon newPayment methods in Waltham Forest 

Online card payment

Payments can be made online using the following debit cards: Visa, Mastercard, Visa Delta, Switch and Solo.


Direct Debit

You can pay your rent by setting up a Direct Debit, this allows us to take an agreed amount from your bank or building society account. We will calculate your annual rent and divide it into equal monthly sums which can be made payable on either: 7th, 14th, 21st or 28th of each month. Please call Income Services on 020 8496 4197 for more information and a direct debit form.

Microsoft Word logoDirect Debit Mandate - Page 1

Microsoft Word logoDirect Debit Mandate - Page 2

Standing Order

This also allows us to take your rent directly form your bank account and some building society accounts. This can be weekly, fortnightly, four-weekly or monthly. Please call Income Services on 020 8496 4197 for more information and a standing order form.  

Microsoft Word logoStanding Order mandate

One Card

When you become a tenant of Waltham Forest Council you will be issued a One Card which allows you to pay at any post office or Paypoint and Payzone.

It is easy to make a payment using the One Card, just visit a PayPoint shop or a Post Office. There are about 50 around the borough in News Agents, Supermarkets and Garages. You can also make payments outside the borough just lookout for the sign or look up your nearest one on the PayPoint website.

Give your card and the amount you want to pay to the cashier and tell them which payment you are making e.g. housing rent, council tax etc. Please retain the receipt for your own records and proof of payment.

If you lose your One Card, please contact Housing Services on 020 8496 4197 so that we can issue you a replacement card.

Deduction from your salary or pension

If you are employed by or receiving a pension from Waltham Forest Council you can arrange for your rent to be taken directly from your salary or pension. Please contact Housing Services on 020 8496 4197 for further information.

Request a rent refund

If you would like to request a refund from your rent account please complete the following form and return to Waltham Forest Housing.

Microsoft Word logoRent refund form

You currently have two options for a refund. A refund can be paid either by cheque or BACS transfer. If your tenancy is a multiple tenancy the refund will be issued to all tenants. If this is not suitable for you please advise us on this form who you want the refund to be issued to. All persons who are on the tenancy will need to sign this form for the refund to be actioned.

If you would like the refund to be sent to a different address please enter this on the form so we can make sure your refund has been issued to the correct address.

Back to top
A-Z of Services: